The best place to start going Green is to practice the 3R’s (Reuse, Reduce and Recycle) at home. 3R’s is most effective when practiced at the one place where we spend the most time be it at home or in the office or school.
– Plastic bags are not bio-degradable. Reuse until cannot be used any longer – Glass bottles can be washed and used for drinking water or storing other liquids. (Ensure the previous liquids stored are not hazardous before re-using the bottles). Hazardous materials such as glues, corrosive agents and poisons should be sent to a disposal centre to be handled properly. -Old newspapers. They are handy for various things. Use them for wrapping things, litter-lining for pets, protective layers for tables and flooring and even to wipe windows among this un-exhaustive list. Best part of it is, it still can be recycled after being reused.
– Rags from old clothes.
– And many more things…
– If you can’t reuse them and they are in decent or good condition, don’t forget to consider donating it to charity.
Best way to reduce wastages is to just reduce usage. If you don’t need it, don’t buy it. Excessive materials or items such as food, appliances, and consumables may end up going into the trash as they may not be fully utilized or have expired.
Excessive use of resources are also damaging to the environment. Energy resources are not unlimited and will eventually run out (with current technology in place). So, turn off appliances when not in use, turn off lights when leaving the room and do not waste water. These are among the things you can do to help save the world.
Reduce does not only mean reducing the use of a resource. You can also opt to reduce use of hazardous chemicals or materials with an impact on the environment by replacing it with something else that is better or greener. I would think this can be considered reducing too.
Items commonly recycled
Plastics, glass, paper, cardboard, aluminum cans, scrap metal, old appliances, wood
1. Sort items into their respective types (paper, plastic, glass, organic and such). Sorting them may increase the value of the material recycled and you may get a higher return for your trip to the recycling center 2. Identify with what the nearby recycling centres will take and will not. Find other ways of disposing those materials that they do not take. 3. Clean items before sending them for recycling. Containers such as milk cartons, food packaging and tin cans should be cleaned and washed before sent to recycling centers to help reduce propagation of bacteria and assist in the control of diseases and health related issues.
3Rs – Never ending circle
The best way to practice 3Rs is to keep doing it. Repeat the process of Reducing, Reuse and when no longer possible, recycle. Every step we take gets us closer to a better world.
- 49 Simple Things you Can do to Save the Earth
Some of them, with their complicated timers and instant start-up features, constantly consume small amounts of electricity. ("Even the TV?" my wife asks. "Good thinking," I tell her.)
3. SEPARATE YOUR GARBAGE.
At our house we have separate garbage cans for glass, paper, plastic, aluminum, wood, organic...
- The Problem with Garbage
The problem with garbage is that it's a sum zero game. Garbage has to go somewhere but nobody wants it in their backyard. It's as if trash is deposited in the garbage can and somehow it's supposed to disappear into some magic black hole. Problem is, there is no black hole. There isn't even room for any more...
- Benefits of Recycling
Benefits of Recycling Recycling benefits both the environment and the economy. The next time you recycle your plastic bottle, aluminum can, or newspaper, remember how you are part of the solution.
Environmental Benefits Using recycled materials in the manufacturing process conserves energy, saves natural...
- Ways to Protect our Environment
Nowadays, environmental issue has become a hot topic in the society. Lots of people are worried about the Mother Earth and man's destructive impact on it. The preservation of environment is widely discussed in media, press and academic writing as well.
Many environmental problems seem so big that only...
- Major City Recycling Initiatives
The population of the world continues to increase dramatically, further pushing the need for our world to adopt resource conservation as a way of life. Between 1950 and 2010, the U.S. population nearly doubled (conner) Recycling efforts must focus on water, energy, paper, metal, aluminum cans, glass,...
- Keeping our School Clean
The responsibility of keeping our school clean belongs to all of us not just the custodial staff. To facilitate this we encourage for certain steps. Cleanliness of Grounds Students are requested to use the several garbage bins that are placed by the doors and the baseball diamonds to deposit their papers or...
- How Does Recycling Effect the Environment
Why Is Recycling Important, you may ask. Recycling is reusing materials in original or changed forms rather than discarding them as wastes. In reusing material or changing material into new materials rather than throwing it away the environment as well as we benefit from it. The process of recycling...
- Waste Management
Background of the Study
RA 9003, otherwise known as the "Ecological Solid Waste Management Act of 2000," mandates that segregation and collection of solid waste at source shall be conducted at the barangay level specifically for biodegradable, compostable and recyclable wastes, and that the...
- Environmentalism and Deforestation Activities
Deforestation is a severe environmental destruction which cannot be revived easily if changed at current rate. Therefore, I totally agree that deforestation causes a lot of environmental problems. Deforestation includes the cutting down, burning and destructing of forests. The deforestation affects the...
- Example of How to Make Scopes and Limitations
Through our efforts and our dilemma of accepting painful failures and sweet success, at last, we have come up to make a study about the problems in our community and we have decided to make a lawn mower. In our lawn mower, we are going to utilize the recyclable materials thrown, found scattered, and...